Full Job Description
The Gogo Business Aviation Vice President, Corporate Controller will be responsible for establishing and implementing company-wide accounting policies and practices to ensure compliance with U.S. GAAP.
The VP, Corporate Controller must also be able to translate accurate and timely financial information enabling strong business decision support. You will display technical, strategic, and operational expertise as well as strong leadership skills. You will be an excellent presenter (written and verbal) and clearly communicate to the Board, Audit Committee, executive audiences, and auditors. In leading the accounting organization, you will partner with the senior leadership and business leaders to ensure priorities are aligned with corporate objectives and financial controls.
For the right candidate this position has the potential opportunity to assume the title of Chief Accounting Officer in the near-term.
How will you make a difference?
- Direct and develop global accounting policies, practices, procedures and initiatives to ensure that all financial transactions are executed and recorded in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles
- Responsible for maintenance of global corporate financial records
- Oversee all transactions related to accounting
- Develop and maintain all necessary accounting policies and systems, including
general ledger and financial reporting
- Ensure records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting
- In charge of all SEC filings
- Advise management of potential changes in accounting regulations or practices that may impact operations and reporting
- Coordinate year-end audits, prepare quarterly and annual reports and/or schedules
- Review internal and external audit reports to ensure appropriate responses and timeframes are established. Ensure all external audit, internal audit and SOX findings are adequately addressed
- Evaluate reporting risks throughout the company and determines methods and processes to mitigate those risks
- Monitor major IT projects and activities impacting the accounting organization.
- Lead the relationship and works closely with external auditors
- Work closely with internal areas of Corporate Tax, Financial Planning and Analysis, Treasury, Internal Audit, Sales and Department leaders
- As a member of the Finance Leadership Team contributes to the development of a best-in-class finance organization. Provide strong leadership to the accounting organization. Support and enhance the current environment of open communication, collaboration, trust, and mutual respect while raising performance standards and practicing accountability. Retain and attract top performing talent
- Mentor a high performing team of accounting professionals
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance and C.P.A. required. Advanced degrees including an M.B.A. would be preferred
- A minimum of 15 to 20 years of experience in financial leadership positions of increasing scope and responsibilities
- 5+ years in public accounting (Big 4) followed by 5+ years in industry roles focused on accounting and reporting. The ideal candidate will have served as a corporate controller although consideration will be given to a strong assistant controller in a fast growing, well-managed company
- 7+ years of management experience leading and advocating for several teams
Required Skills, Experience and Talents
- Experience in one or more companies with public reporting requirements
- Deep technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP, SEC reporting requirements and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance
- Experience establishing and setting up international operations
- Strong understanding of best-in-class deployment and use of financial systems to support the goals of the finance organization to improve efficiency and the control environment
- Demonstrated ability to provide strong leadership within an organization
- Proficiency with manufactured products and services and a solid understanding of inventory management. Technology, aviation, or telecom sector experience would be ideal
- Exceptionally good project leadership experience and the demonstrated ability to work well across organizational boundaries and functions.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Technical Accounting Expertise: The successful candidate will build world-class accounting/financial reporting processes, polices, and controls globally to deliver timely and accurate reporting of financial results, mitigate risk, and provide analysis of financial performance. The Vice President, Corporate Controller will:
- Assess the business ramifications, accounting treatments, financial reporting changes required to align the function to support the business going forward.
- Build relationships cross functionally and with business leaders to effectively balance business objectives with the accounting rules and will be able to communicate highly technical concepts in business terms while providing alternatives and recommendations to leadership.
- Influencing Skills and Relationship Management: The Vice President, Corporate Controller will serve as a trusted advisor and business partner to the Chief Financial Officer and key business unit leaders in all accounting matters to drive fact-based decision making and growth. you will:
- Have the courage of conviction and self-confidence to participate in senior management discussions and to establish credibility at the Board level.
- Build strong relationships with senior leaders to identify their needs and provide the full range of support from the accounting organization.
- Act as a strong team player with the ability to manage across groups and adapt to different leadership styles.
- Deliver on commitments, collaborate with peers, develop deep business knowledge and consult with leaders outside of finance.
- Demonstrate genuine humility in contributing to a high performance, low ego organization
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Leadership and Team Development: The Vice President, Corporate Controller will support the Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer in managing and developing a finance team to support continued growth of the company. The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate strong business judgment, Board-level stature, and a passion for increasing shareholder value and improving processes across the enterprise.
- Will retain key talent and proactively recruit where necessary, develop, and motivate a high performing organization while setting high standards for the accounting group across the organization.
- Develop/mentor direct reports and recognize and reward team members who achieve a high standard of performance.
- Demonstrate aptitude and desire to assume broader responsibilities. For the right candidate this position has the potential opportunity to assume the title of Chief Accounting Officer in the near-term.
We love work-life balance as much as you do! Gogo Business Aviation is a place that values our employees’ time both in and out of the office. Our employees enjoy a hybrid in-office and work from home environment that is designed to give you the flexibility and space to collaborate with your team effectively while building the strong relationships that are a hallmark of our culture.
– – –
Gogo Business Aviation requires that all candidates disclose their COVID-19 vaccination status in their job application. All new employees or contractors hired on, or after January 14, 2022 are required to provide proof of full vaccination or, a medical or religious Gogo approved exemption, within 4-days of their start date.
Equal Pay Disclosure(s)
Colorado Equal Pay Statement: Disclosure required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role to be located in the state of Colorado.
197,600.00 – 247,000.00 USD Annual
Target Annual Short-Term Incentive:
Bonus Plan at 30% (% of Annualized Base Pay)
Eligible for Incentive Stock Program:
Gogo offers competitive benefits including medical, dental and vision coverage with plans that can fit each employee’s needs. We offer an immediate vesting 401k plan, paid time off and volunteer time off. Employees have the option to participate in an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. Visit the Careers page on our website for more information at
– – –
Gogo is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept of Equal Employment opportunity.
Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition, or disability.