As the Chief Operating Officer you bring strong leadership talents to inspire, guide, and engage our caregivers and medical staff as we provide the highest quality medical care to our patients. Working alongside other senior leaders at St. Joseph Hospital, you will strive to ensure that the organization meets the mission and strategic objectives set forth by the Board and executive leadership while promoting a positive and engaging work environment. An emphasis will be on execution and a results orientation in the context of relationships and team building. As a servant leader you embody the SCL Health leadership behaviors:
- Accountability for results
- Engagement and enthusiasm for change
- Adaptability and continuous learning
- Trust, respect and collaboration
- Transparency and candor
- Efficient, data-driven decision-making
- Drive for execution demonstrated by a sense of urgency and commitment to follow-through
Saint Joseph Hospital is a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization that is part of the Peaks Region of Intermountain Healthcare. We are proud to extend the mission of SCL Health by providing care for the poor, the vulnerable, our communities and each other. Our deep community roots date back to 1873, making us one of the oldest hospitals in Colorado with a long and distinguished heritage in the Denver community. We are known for person-centered care with a focus on healing mind, body and spirit. Our 400 bed facility is one of the top-ranked hospitals in the state of Colorado, including the highest national recognition possible for nursing excellence – ANCC Magnet designation. In addition, Saint Joe’s has recently earned CMS 5 Star rating, Leapfrog A grade and numerous other recognitions by third party rating agencies. Saint Joseph operates the largest community hospital-based Graduate Medical Education program in the state, offering physician residencies in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, OB GYN and General Surgery. Our faculty practice trains over 120 residents each year. Finally, Saint Joseph Hospital has numerous top rated specialty services including 3 Star STS Heart Surgery program, Vascular Surgery Center of Excellence, High risk Labor and Delivery services and Level III NICU, and a Respiratory Institute in partnership with National Jewish Health.
As Chief Operating Officer you will report to the President of Joseph Hospital and will facilitate, direct, and coordinate operational activities and programs relative to the day-to-day hospital operations of the medical center through the delivery of cost effective and quality services. This includes service lines, ancillary services, diagnostic services, support services and facility services, with a close collaborative focus with Patient Care Services to impact operational, patient experience and financial imperatives.
Benefits are one of the ways we encourage health for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind and social well-being. To that end, we’ve launched a Healthy Living program to address your holistic health. Healthy Living includes financial incentives, digital tools, tobacco cessation, classes, counseling and paid time off.
As an Executive, you would receive additional benefits including two times salary basic life insurance, as well as reimbursement for tuition, cell phone, professional dues and subscriptions. We also offer financial wellness tools, retirement savings and deferred compensation plans and an additional supplemental retirement plan for executives. To show our commitment to you and to assist with your transition into our organization, we will also offer a sign-on and retention bonus, student loan repayment, and relocation stipend and reimbursement when applicable.
Working as a senior leader at St. Joseph Hospital, the COO will provide leadership in planning and executing the strategic plan, assure rigorous stewardship, and maintain accreditation / regulatory compliance. Critical to success in this role is the ability of the incumbent to: translate strategy into action plans; form good working relationships with the clinical and operations leaders within the care site; encourage benchmarking, sharing of best practices and collaboration among departments while building momentum and excitement around associate and physician engagement. The COO additionally assures implementation of system-wide and local initiatives and policies, including support of clinical integration and growth objectives in alignment with SCL Health’s 2025 vision and strategies. The preferred candidate will be a highly qualified executive whose experience includes accomplishing strategic and operational change in a complex environment while maintaining integrity, being flexible, approachable and goal oriented.
Primary responsibilities of this position will include:
- Assume accountability for daily operations and delegate appropriate authority to direct reports for programs and services to assure high quality, low cost access to care for all in an atmosphere of collegiality, collaboration, and accountability.
- Approve implementation of methods that could enhance productivity and effectively control and reduce overtime or use of outside personnel within the department.
- Provide leadership in the development and execution of key strategies which differentiate St. Joseph Hospital from its competitors in the areas of service and clinical excellence.
- Assume the integration of quality, service and efficiency implementation into day-to-day operations.
- Assure that the Hospital achieves financial and operating targets defined in the Budget and Strategic Plan.
- Work effectively with the Vice President of Finance in support of initiatives focusing on consistent financial reporting and cost savings through consolidation of key financial areas.
- Participate with partners and SCL Health in evaluation and implementation of population health management and other key organization strategy discussions.
- Oversee major workforce and resource decisions for the hospital.
- Work through the management team and medical leadership of the hospital, serving as a resource to help reduce costs, enhance revenues, achieve effective utilization and quality goals and objectives, analyze and utilize information to develop and support management decisions.
- Manage costs by continually seeking data that will identify opportunities and take action to eliminate non-value added costs.
We expect excellence, which is why we require:
- Master’s Degree
- At least five (5) years in a senior leadership role within a complex hospital or health system setting.
- Knowledge of current healthcare trends in quality, safety, information technology, healthcare reform, finance/economics, physician alliance, regulatory compliance, and process improvement.
- Experience, enthusiasm, and energy to work within a large, complex health care system.
Your next move
Now that you know more about being the Chief Operating Officer at St. Joseph Hospital we hope you’ll join us. At SCL Health you’ll reaffirm every day how much you love this work, and why you were called to it in the first place.