Do you enjoy developing new products and services? Join us! Our Software Engineers work in an agile, collective environment. You will be using your skills and expertise to define, design, develop, test, certify and improve cutting-edge software products. These cover a very wide range from advanced mission payloads and electronic systems through highly integrated aircraft to orbital and space exploration systems. You’ll perform coding, debugging, testing, and troubleshooting of systems and software throughout our development process. Your technical duties involve the design and development of new software products throughout the product lifecycle.
Sierra Space-based in Louisville, CO with operations in Madison, WI, Durham, NC, Huntsville, AL, Houston, TX, and Kennedy Space Center, FL-designs and manufactures the Dream Chaser spaceplane and other advanced spacecraft, commercial space destinations, satellites, propulsion and environmental systems, spacecraft subsystems and components for the U.S. government (including NASA), commercial customers, and international organizations. Learn more about Sierra Space
Sierra Space’s Orbital Mission and Services (OMS) division focuses on the design, build, and operations of small satellites in support of commercial services and national security space and offers two work locations: Louisville, Colorado and Centennial, Colorado.
- Assess new spacecraft designs to determine detailed, low-level software requirements
- Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software
- Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems
- Estimate cost and schedule for spacecraft flight software development activities
- Ability to oversee subcontracted efforts
- Ability to provide technical leadership to small work teams
- Ability to trade multiple approaches to meeting mission requirements to find the best fit based on varying criteria
- Develop embedded flight code using standard RTOS runtime components and development tools
- Support functional testing of completed software items
- Originate software architecture documents, verification and validation plans, procedures, reports, and other documentation in support of flight software design and development activities
- Ensure compliance of flight software designs with Engineering performance specifications
- Execute spacecraft flight software design and development activities consistent with Customer quality, cost, and schedule requirements
- Read and interpret technical specifications
- Prepare material for and present technical information at design reviews
- Work with other engineers to implement operating procedures, resolve system issues, and provide required technical information
- Understand, plan, and execute technical activities in accordance with SNC policies, procedures, and work instructions
- Bachelor’s of Science degree Computer Science, Software Engineering or other related discipline and typically 10 or more years of relevant experience
- Relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of required education.
- Advanced capabilities using Computer Aided Engineering tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Active Top Secret US Government security clearance with SCI eligibility
- Understanding of industry standard software languages such as C, C#, C++, HTML, Java, Python, and Bash
- Experience with software tools for requirements tracking, code reviews, static analysis, library and artifact repository, and automated build
- Knowledge of software development methodologies such as Agile/Scrum, Waterfall, and Spiral
- Proficient with data structures
At Sierra Space we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. Sierra Space has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about Sierra Space
- Frequently walk, sit, stand, climb stairs and steps
- Frequently repeat same hand, arm, and finger motion many times to include finger and hand dexterity
- Rarely lifting or carrying up to 20 lbs.
- Rarely exposed to outdoor elements (high/low temperatures, sun, rain/snow, etc.)
- Rarely exposed to fumes or hazardous chemicals/materials
- Rarely exposed to loud noises
This position requires current/active Top Secret with SCI eligibility U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-U.S. Citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the U.S., foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.
With 30+ years of proven spaceflight heritage, Sierra Space has provided more than 4,000 space systems, subsystems and components to customers worldwide, and participated in more than 500 missions to space, including to Mars. The company has technology in production and in development to enable space habitats for short- and long-duration space travel, a fleet of Dream Chaser spaceplanes, and the first free-flying commercial space station. Please visit www.sierraspace.com to learn more about Sierra Space, its business areas, capabilities, programs, products and services.
Estimated Starting Salary Range:
$138,634.92 – $207,952.37
Sierra Space offers annual incentive pay based upon performance that is commensurate with the level of the position.
Sierra Space offers a generous benefit package, including medical, dental, and vision plans, 401(k) with 150% match up to 8%, life insurance, 3 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and more.
At Sierra Space, our mission is to dream, innovate, inspire and empower the next generation to transform humanity through technology and imagination. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome our employees to bring their whole selves to their work. Sierra Space is committed to fostering an inclusive, accepting, and diverse environment free of discrimination on the basis of race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Contributions to Sierra Space come in many shapes and styles, and we believe diversity in our workforce fosters new and greater ways to dream, innovate, and inspire.