At Spartan Investment Group our mission is to Improve lives through our values. We do this by finding value-add and opportunistic investments offering solid returns to our investors. Providing an opportunity to grow for our partners and creating lasting wealth for everyone with whom we conduct business is how we make our greatest contribution.
We specifically focus on self-storage and RV park projects capitalizing on amazing deals in other asset classes. In 2021, we were listed as the 5th fastest growing real estate company in the US and joined the list of the top 100 owners of self-storage. We are members of the Inc. 500 fastest-growing private companies in America and in 2022 we were nominated #4 in Denver Business Journals list of top places to work.
As Spartan’s Senior Property Accountant, you will be located at our corporate headquarters in Golden, CO and will support the accounting and financial reporting of our subsidiaries. This is an exciting opportunity to take ownership of an intricate and fast-paced accounting infrastructure. We are looking for someone who is a self-learner, a builder of processes, and comfortable maintaining a work-life balance in a fast-paced high-growth environment. The perfect candidate will be ambitious and possess a strong desire to grow within the organization and help develop a team of property accountants. This position’s potential career path will move into a Property Accounting Manager position upon completion of the internal leadership program.
- Review financial statements monthly for discrepancies and make appropriate adjustments for a set of properties in the Spartan portfolio.
- Work with Property Management and Construction Management teams to ensure accurate property and project recording, support their requisition needs and build out reporting infrastructure.
- Review and prepare routine and manual journal entries, including supporting schedules and calculations, to ensure an accurate and timely month-end close.
- Assist in the preparation of month-end close schedules and reconciliations across the Spartan portfolio.
- Work cross functionally and communicate effectively across the organization to support all teams that rely on accurate and timely property accounting.
- Work as a high functioning team member in the accounting and finance group to identify and implement process improvements to better serve the organization as it grows.
Main Objectives and Responsibilities:
- Build reporting infrastructure using NetSuite accounting software.
- Manage investor contributions and distributions.
- Reconcile bank accounts for a set portfolio of properties and signoff on them monthly.
- Prepare journal entries and accruals to be posted to the general ledger.
- Ensure all cash activity is recorded daily.
- Ensure all cash movements follow ownership structures.
- Analyze cash requirements, as needed, for multiple entities.
- Perform and review subledger reconciliations.
- Maintain fixed asset system including additions, retirements and other modifications as needed.
- Prepare fixed asset roll forwards.
- Post monthly debt service payments & reconcile loan activity to lender statements monthly.
- Review & distribute A/R aging reports on a weekly basis & as needed.
- Perform reporting package checklist procedures to ensure accurate and complete reporting, including but not limited to a detailed monthly financial review of balance sheet, income statement and general ledger.
- Prepare monthly reporting packages per owner requirements, including review of manager variance reporting.
- Participate in any other projects or responsibilities considered appropriate by the Director of Accounting.
Continuous Improvement – A drive to learn and do as much as possible in an entrepreneurial setting. Willingness to participate in leadership and ongoing performance and development programs.
Communication – Articulate thoughts and express ideas effectively using oral, written, visual and non-verbal communication skills, as well as listening skills to gain understanding.
Collaborative – Works cross departmentally to achieve accounting goals. Team oriented individual that can communicate effectively in a way that enhances productivity, teamwork and understanding.
Autonomy – Someone who is a self-learner, quickly grasps information and takes ownership of their position. Ability to show initiative and creativity in a macro-managed environment fostered by mentorship.
Leadership – Can lead a team of 2 property accountants and foster their growth and lead them to enhance their contribution.
Detail Oriented – Meets deadlines and makes few errors on reporting and data entry.
Entrepreneurial Spirit – Pursues change instead of waiting for it. Embrace uncertainty, aspire to grow and aim to try to new things.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- 5 -7 years of property accounting experience
- Exceptional attention to detail with strong analytical skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel & Microsoft Office 360
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with NetSuite ERP system highly preferred, but not required
- Salary $80K – $95k
- Profit Share
- Member Interest Purchase Program (Eligible after 1 year of employment)
- 401k, Health, Vision, Dental, Short-term disability, and Life Insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Phone, transportation, entertainment reimbursements and more!
Thanks to Lew’s List for alerting us to this opportunity. Please mention Lew’s List when you apply.