Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Director of Risk to join our team to build and oversee the risk management practices for our new payments product, Checkr Pay, focusing on payments for the flexible workforce. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in risk management, with an emphasis on identifying and mitigating the unique risks associated with large funds transfers and overseeing the regulatory and compliance requirements of the payment services space. This position will report to our Chief Financial Officer.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and implement a robust risk management strategy that focuses on financial risk and fraud mitigation on our network, while fostering innovation and agility
- Work closely with other departments, including Product, Engineering, and Operations, to integrate risk management practices effectively throughout the product lifecycle
- Monitor and analyze key risk indicators, market trends, and potential risk exposure, and provide regular updates and recommendations to executive management
- Stay up-to-date on evolving regulations and industry trends in payment services and inform relevant stakeholders to adapt to risk landscape changes
- Promote a culture of risk awareness, adherence to best practices, and compliance within the organization, fostering transparency and collaboration
What you bring:
- 12+ years of experience in risk management, with a focus on payment or funds transfer products
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; advanced degree or relevant certification (e.g., FRM) is a plus
- Excellent communication and writing skills, with the ability to explain complex risk concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven experience in developing risk frameworks, mitigation strategies, and monitoring risk exposure
- Knowledge of industry regulations, including AML, KYC, bank transfers, and data privacy
- Strong understanding of the unique risks and challenges faced by companies providing payment services
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and facilitate collaboration among stakeholders in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
What you’ll get:
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental and vision coverage
- Up to $25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. The salary range for this role is $187,298 to $389,850.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace. Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.