The typical starting salary range for this role is determined by a number of factors including skills, experience, education, certifications and location. The full salary range for this role reflects the competitive labor market value for all employees in these positions across the national market and provides an opportunity to progress as employees grow and develop within the role. Some roles at Liberty Mutual have a corresponding compensation plan which may include commission and/or bonus earnings at rates that vary based on multiple factors set forth in the compensation plan for the role.
The Global Chief Financial Officer for Technology is a senior leader role responsible for acting as a key catalyst in driving the design, development, and implementation of the next generation financial and investment governance strategy for Liberty Mutual (LM) Tech.
The case for change: As our world continues to rapidly digitize, it is critical for us to modernize our business models to meet changing consumer demands and compete in new ecosystems. In technology, we face the challenge of balancing efficiency with delivering new capabilities and must strategically reduce spending while preparing for the future. According to a PWC study, 40% of global CEOs believe their companies will become economically non-viable. A key lever that they agree they need to embrace to prepare for the future is technology. Gartner has also cited in their 2022 Enterprisewide Technology Value Survey that the whole organization benefits from governing and demonstrating the value of all technology spending more strategically, including a 24% increase when it comes to successfully meeting business demand via the investments in grow.
We see the continued increased demand of capabilities that must be turned on to compete across the globe, while also having increased pressure on modernizing existing systems and in parallel align to evolving regulatory and compliance requirements. This puts pressure on technology budgets, and as a company with over 5,000 systems some of which date back to the 1980s, we must modernize at scale while advancing our capabilities. This evolution is set with the backdrop of our core guiding principle that we must make IT spend count. To enable this at scale, we need to evolve our financial management processes to measure both cost center performance and investment center performance based on return. By modernizing our financial management and governance processes, we can stay relevant and thrive in the future while spending responsibly.
The type of change agent needed: The successful leader will be a trailblazer that is passionate about change and shaping the future to enable next generation of capabilities. Experience managing finance (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting) for a complex organization with multiple funding sources. Must have proven experience in global and multi-jurisdiction organization with demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven and diverse team. Exceptional capacity for leading finance strategy and deep interest in technology with an excellent analytics and abstract reasoning abilities, plus excellent organization.
About the role:
This role provides leadership and financial strategy in budgeting, planning, financial management and reporting with an annual budget of $2.4B. The CFO acts as a senior advisor to the LM Tech CIO and members of the technology leadership team on strategic and long-range financial planning matters and represents technology across various groups.
The responsibilities are defined across the following key areas:
- Strategy: – True business partner and key member of the Tech Leadership to drive the financial strategy to support our complex priorities. Provides technical and visionary leadership to the Finance team that supports tech while working as a strategic thought partner to leaders across the organization on how to think about technology spend.
- Engage on issues, trends, and changes in priorities and investments and create a strategic framework that positions IT as strategic shaper of business, inclusive of transitioning tech as a pure cost center into a value-center.
- Drive strategy and approach in the process of preparing, prioritizing, justifying, and securing funding for IT.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with LM strategic plans, including external benchmarking the financial performance of the IT function.
- Enhance tools, systems, and processes to provide critical financial and operational information to the leadership team and make actionable recommendations on both strategy and operations with a goal of increased machine-human interoperability.
- Develop and utilize forward looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analysis to provide insight into the organizations operations and business plans and build from our TBM strategy.
- Develop our Cost Optimization 2.0 model and oversee the financial commitments associated to all large technology investments across the company.
- IT Financial Management Fundamentals – Serves as the strategic business partner to provide recommendations and drive change on a wide range of matters (i.e., capital planning, large program funding strategies).
- Map IT’s impact on the enterprise’s financials using the right outcome-driven metrics.
- Ensure that the IT budget demonstrates clarity, brevity, strategic alignment, financial competence, and run/grow dynamics.
- Articulate IT’s value through multiple categorizations of IT financials that respond to the unique outcomes and requirements of key stakeholders.
- Translate IT activities into business outcomes and financial impacts.
- Develop multi-year capital and financial plans, budgets, forecasts and monitor spending.
- Participate in organizational policy development and represent technology interests.
- Engage with board of directors in articulation of technology investment needs and outcomes.
- Work with procurement and legal team to assess the risks and benefits of prospective contracts and advise on programmatic design and implementation.
- Setting appropriate KPIs, measuring progress and driving accountability for results for key investments.
- Support M&A.
- Operational Readiness: – Relationship builder that will build bridges across departments to foster a culture of collaboration and mutual respect. Collaborates across CIO/CFO/COO/Market President teams to align strategic priorities through robust engagement and planning for the realization of short-and long-term goals.
- Guide larger, cross-departmental teams outside of direct span of control in alignment with CFOs to align on value creation methodologies and valuation follow-through.
- Establish the appropriate financial information as well as resources, systems, and control to support cost and risk reduction while supporting continued investment growth.
- Review and align effective cost allocation strategies aligned to TBM/transparency.
- Influence IT consumption levels via chargeback/show back in alignment with IT Strategy & Transformation office.
**This position has in office requirements at our Boston HQ location. Travel required depending on candidate location**Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in finance or business discipline or related experience; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Courageous Leadership– A highly driven executive who is purposeful, ambitious, logical, collaborative, and highly courageous. Exceptional listener and highly skilled at leading change with a proven track record.
- High technology IQ and Win with Digital Mindset– Understand the process and business complexities of implied technical investments and the ability to understand risk of unintended consequence of various potential cost optimization scenarios.
- Have a strong Commercial Acumen – Sound knowledge of insurance and strong appreciation of customer and employee centricity.
- Global Scale– Proven track record in strong delivery.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate areas of senior management concern, integrate different perspectives, and respond accordingly, including presenting to the board.
- Demonstrated ability to find creative solutions to problems and highly adaptive to new challenges.
- Demonstrated ability of strong communication, negotiation and influencing skills that can paint a compelling vision and get buy-in to same.
- Demonstrated ability to create strong relationship and a willingness to network and cultivate relationships with new and prospective groups.
- Fast Pace Environment– Highly driven with an ability to work very effectively both under own initiative and as part multi-national environment.
- Cultural Dexterity– Ability to provide leadership and motivate several geographically dispersed, diverse teams.
- Acts with integrity, confidence, and accountability always with no hidden agendas.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That’s why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you’ll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG’s Insider Pro and Computerworld’s 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers for Women and one of America’s Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America’s Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-equity-inclusion/
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.