At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.Watch Our Story: www.hdrinc.com/our-storyWe believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
HDR is seeking a Geotechnical Engineering Director to be its preeminent geotechnical engineering expert representing HDR both internally and externally. You will serve as the leader of HDR’s global geotechnical practice and will apply your deep academic and industry knowledge of geotechnical engineering to drive the delivery of technically excellent solutions for our clients across all sectors of HDR, positioning HDR as an industry leader in the field of geotechnical engineering.Initially reporting to the Professional Services Director, you will be focused on driving innovative and high-quality solutions for our clients and communities, providing technical leadership to support our diverse group of geotechnical professionals across the firm, and representing our practice within the industry.
The primary role of the Geotechnical Engineering Director is to provide leadership of HDR’s geotechnical practice to promote technical excellence across the program, support the delivery of innovative services for our projects and mitigate risks for both HDR and our clients. This position will partner with HDR’s Business Groups (Transportation, Water, Resources, Building Engineering Services, Architecture and Federal) to develop a geotechnical practice that will span the enterprise. More specific duties include:
- Building a best-in-class practice by recruiting, retaining and developing a network of subject matter experts capable of developing and delivering outstanding technical solutions for our clients
- Strategically identifying technical expertise gaps and working with the Business Groups to identify key hires.
- Establishing partnerships with subconsultants, universities and industry professional organizations to leverage outside technical expertise to augment HDR’s capabilities, to advance the state of practice, and to support our clients.
- Fostering quality initiatives across the practice that will elevate the quality of our services and minimize risks for HDR and our clients.
- Driving thought leadership within HDR and the geotechnical industry, as well as participating in industry conferences, to elevate HDR’s profile.
- Serving as a focal point for the Business Groups to deliver the necessary geotechnical services and creating alliances across the company to drive delivery of quality geotechnical services for HDR’s clients.
- Supporting major pursuit coordination, including capture planning efforts, pre-proposal visitations, proposal preparation coordination with technical and marketing staff, presentations and negotiations.
- Working closely with Market Sector Directors and Client Managers developing long-term tactical growth plans to best serve the geotechnical needs of HDR’s clients.
- Facilitating the documentation of technical knowledge in the form of Standards and Practices and promoting knowledge sharing across the Business Groups.
- Building a mentoring program within the geotechnical practice that supports the progressive development of geotechnical professionals throughout their career.
- Collaborating with other disciplines to heighten awareness of the geotechnical practice and establish partnerships to advance innovative concepts and mitigate risks for the benefit of HDR and our clients.
- Working with Business Group and Operations Leadership to develop and maintain a skills matrix of geotechnical professionals, as well as a workload and staffing strategy to balance project delivery commitments across geographies.
- Licensure as Professional Engineer.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Geotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering or similar engineering or sciences related degrees.
- Minimum of 20 years in leading and delivering a diverse range of geotechnical services for major projects and clients.
- Established client relationships with public agencies and/or private entities, with a track record of success in this arena.
- Experienced with relevant universities and industry associations and maintains a visible profile in the geotechnical industry and other key markets.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across an organization to elevate technical excellence and drive best-in-class solutions for clients and projects.
- Demonstrated commitment to HDR values and an attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
- Ability to travel on average 50% of time, with intermittent increases possible. Ability to travel internationally when needed
- PhD degree strongly preferred.
Why HDRAt HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee ownership, employee health, performance, and success; which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, employee referral bonuses and tuition reimbursement. Typical starting pay range for this position is $200,000 – $250,000 annually depending upon skills, experience, education and geographical location.Primary LocationUnited StatesOther LocationsUnited States-North Carolina-Charlotte, United States-Iowa-Iowa City, United States-Wyoming-Cheyenne, United States-Oregon-Salem, United States-Maryland-Baltimore, United States-Kansas-Wichita, United States-Texas-Fort Worth, United States-Montana-Missoula, United States-District of Columbia-Washington DC, United States-Texas-Houston, United States-California-Irvine, United States-Wisconsin-Madison, United States-Florida-Tallahassee, United States-New York-Buffalo, United States-Mississippi-Jackson, United States-Washington-Tacoma, United States-Nevada-Reno, United States-Massachusetts-Springfield, United States-Iowa-Des Moines, United States-New York-Albany, United States-California-Berkeley, United States-Oregon-Portland, United States-Montana-Bozeman, United States-Maryland-Bethesda, United States-Texas-Corpus Christi, United States-Washington-Seattle, United States-Nevada-Las Vegas, United States-Montana-Billings, United States-Texas-Dallas, United States-Washington-Spokane, United States-Virginia-Arlington, United States-Iowa-Cedar Rapids, United States-Alaska-Juneau, United States-Colorado-Englewood, United States-Michigan-Grand Rapids, United States-Texas-Austin, United States-Virginia-Virginia Beach, United States-Massachusetts-Boston, United States-California-Fresno, United States-Colorado-Denver, United States-Iowa-Ames, United States-Oregon-Bend, United States-Mississippi-Biloxi, United States-Missouri-St Louis, United States-Virginia-Charlottesville, United States-Georgia-Savannah, United States-Arkansas-Little Rock, United States-Virginia-Williamsburg, United States-New Mexico-Santa Fe, United States-Washington-Olympia, United States-Louisiana-Lafayette, United States-Oklahoma-Tulsa, United States-Arizona-Phoenix, United States-Kentucky-Louisville, United States-Georgia-Atlanta, United States-South Carolina-Greenville, United States-Illinois-Rosemont, United States-Tennessee-Knoxville, United States-California-Walnut Creek, United States-Oklahoma-Oklahoma City, United States-Tennessee-Memphis, United States-Louisiana-Baton Rouge, United States-Virginia-Richmond, United States-Arizona-Scottsdale, United States-Washington-Gig Harbor, United States-Ohio-Cleveland, United States-California-Stockton, United States-Florida-Tampa, United States-Arizona-Flagstaff, United States-New Jersey-New Jersey, United States-Kansas-Topeka, United States-Ohio-Columbus, United States-Tennessee-Chattanooga, United States-Kentucky-Lexington, United States-Ohio-Cincinnati, United States-Connecticut-Bridgeport, United States-Washington-Bellevue, United States-Missouri-Kansas City, United States-South Dakota-Sioux Falls, United States-Florida-Sarasota, United States-North Carolina-Wilmington, United States-Tennessee-Nashville, United States-Vermont-Montpelier, United States-New Jersey-Newark, United States-Alaska-Fairbanks, United States-Louisiana-New Orleans, United States-New Mexico-Albuquerque, United States-New York-White Plains, United States-Minnesota-St. Paul, United States-South Carolina-Charleston, United States-Virginia-Roanoke, United States-South Carolina-Columbia, United States-North Carolina-Asheville, United States-New Jersey-Mahwah, United States-Connecticut-New Haven, United States-New Jersey-Jersey City, United States-Minnesota-Minneapolis, United States-Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh, United States-New York-Syracuse, United States-Rhode Island-Kingston, United States-Michigan-Lansing, United States-Virginia-Norfolk, United States-Pennsylvania-Philadelphia, United States-Nebraska-Lincoln, United States-Connecticut-Waterbury, United States-Florida-Miami, United States-Nebraska-Omaha, United States-California-Sacramento, United States-New York-New York, United States-California-Pasadena, United States-Michigan-Ann Arbor, United States-Utah-Salt Lake City, United States-North Carolina-Winston-Salem, United States-Michigan-Detroit, United States-North Dakota-Bismarck, United States-Florida-Gainesville, United States-Maine-Portland, United States-California-Oakland, United States-New York-Long Island, United States-North Dakota-Fargo, United States-New Hampshire-Manchester, United States-Florida-Jacksonville, United States-Illinois-Chicago, United States-Pennsylvania-Harrisburg, United States-California-Los Angeles, United States-Idaho-Boise, United States-North Carolina-Raleigh, United States-Texas-San Antonio, United States-West Virginia-Charleston, United States-Florida-Ft. MyersIndustryHighway + RoadScheduleFull-timeEmployee StatusRegularBusinessClassGeotechnicalJob PostingFeb 22, 2023At HDR, we are committed to the principles of employment equity in all of our offices. USA: We are an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all qualified candidates regardless of minority, veteran, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or any other status protected by law. CANADA: We welcome applications from all qualified individuals. AUSTRALIA: We consider all qualified candidates regardless of gender, ethnicity, country of birth, political or religious affiliation, health status, or any other status protected by law.Health and safety is also our priority. For some positions, you may be required to provide drug and alcohol testing, before or during employment, based on our Drug Testing and Drug Free Workplace Policy. If you are required to drive for us, we require a valid driver’s license and compliance with our vehicle policy.