About the job
Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company’s new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.It’s not just about your career… or your job title…it’s about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters…do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else’s life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
Summary:We are seeking an exceptional Software Engineering Director to lead the development of our premier portfolio of train control office system (TCOS) products. These products include core railroad dispatch, positive train control back-office management systems, and dispatch client applications supporting railroad field operations through client, web, and mobile solutions. As a key member of the leadership team, the Software Engineering Director will be responsible for leading a team of experienced software engineering professionals operating in an Agile environment, ensuring that they deliver high-quality software releases on schedule and in compliance with all internal processes. This position will be based in Fort Worth, Texas, and will involve regular communication with customers, product directors, and support teams to ensure that our products meet the needs of our customers and the industry. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of managing complex software development projects, be passionate about leading teams to success, and have excellent communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide hands-on leadership and oversight of the software engineering teams to ensure delivery commitments are met
- Interface with key customers during the weekly and monthly review and address any escalations
- Demonstrate very strong Engineering Leadership and people management skills including solid communication and analytical skills with a thorough understanding of software development, testing, and delivery best practices
- Managing multiple agile team/s, influencing (potentially) more agile teams, fostering collaboration within local and global engineering groups to share designs & best practices
- Ensure company compliance initiatives and training requirements are implemented within the group
- Act as the change agent for the team, continuously improving both tools and processes working with the engineering leadership team
- Demonstrate superior knowledge of software development life cycles to collaborate with Quality Engineering and Build and Release teams
- Coordinates engineering activities to ensure robust design, quality, and customer requirements are met across products and project delivery
- Define roles and responsibilities for direct reports, conduct performance reviews, and provide coaching, feedback, career, and professional growth planning for employees
- Resource management by working closely with project and product managers to assign, monitor, and continually assess multiple projects simultaneously and make priority calls based on business objectives and associated risks
- As required, hire new software engineering resources and/or external supplier resources
- Management of vendor partnership as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Technology, or Engineering.
- 10+ years of Software Industry experience
- 4+ years leading software development teams
- 2+ years in Engineering leadership role with direct reports
- Strong influencing skills, communication skills, and demonstrated analytical skills
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Self-starter and able to set the direction for self and others when uncertainty exists
- Minimal supervision to perform Software Director duties
- Proactive work ethic to energetically identify risks and mitigate them
- Attention to detail to create plans and track status
- Experience with Microsoft DevOps, Rally, Jira, or other defect/work tracking tools. Capable of generating Agile metrics reports (burn-up, burn-down, velocity, etc.) and interpreting the results for larger audiences
- Superior knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle and strong collaboration history with Quality Engineering and Dev Ops teams
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, SCM, CI, build processes, testing, and operations
- Employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- Employee able to travel if needed less than 10%
- Employee able to use a computer for programming and interacting with his team
- The employee will typically work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment
- Wabtec works in a hybrid model giving employees the flexibility to work remotely on Monday/Friday and in-office Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday
Relocation may be provided for those who meet eligibility criteriaWabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.