About the job
DISH is a Fortune 200 company with more than $15 billion in annual revenue that continues to redefine the communications industry. Our legacy is innovation and a willingness to challenge the status quo, including reinventing ourselves. We disrupted the pay-TV industry in the mid-90s with the DISH satellite TV service launch, taking on some of the largest U.S. corporations in the process, and grew to be the fourth-largest pay-TV provider. We are doing it again with the first live, internet-delivered TV service – Sling TV – that bucks traditional pay-TV norms and gives consumers a truly new way to access and watch television.In 2015, SLING redefined America’s relationship with live TV. Six years later, we remain one of the country’s most influential inventions and driving forces behind the cord-cutting phenomenon. We’ve achieved our success by filling our offices with people invested in the medium they’re building.Our teams are challenging the status quo and reimagining streaming capabilities. From product development to software design to big data and beyond, our people play vital roles in connecting consumers with the products and platforms of tomorrow.We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win – it’s in our DNA. We’re looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve to join our team as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here. We are DISH.
Job Duties And Responsibilities
The DISH Technology team is looking for a highly motivated, talented, and experienced Director, Software Engineering (Data Analytics and Insights) to lead our Sling TV Engineering Big Data teams. As Director, Software Engineering (Data Analytics and Insights), you will lead teams in the Sling Engineering Big Data organization and build analytical insights, data governance, architecture, cost efficiency, analysis, visualization, data science and services that run at internet scale serving millions of customers 24×7. You will be responsible for defining the roadmap and building our next-generation Big Data architecture, data warehouse, datamart, development, data analysis and validation, system implementation and data maintenance activities. You will be accelerating our transformation into a world-class organization by embracing modern software engineering principles and hiring top-notch engineers. Our Big data platform delivers popular and personalized recommendations on live and stored media streaming experiences to our customers to improve their TV watching experience. As Director, Software Engineering (Data Analytics and Insights), you are responsible for the SLIs and SLOs of the Data platform, and the services that run on the platform and exceed the SLA standards that our customers expect from us. You will strive for speed of delivery without compromising on the established quality and reliability standards.You will manage a team of 50+ highly skilled Data Architects, Data Engineers, Data Analysts, Data scientists, software engineers, tech leads, and managers. Your teams will be geographically distributed across different continents. You will be working closely with other engineering and product teams who consume the data and services provided by Big Data Platforms. You will be working hand-in-hand with the Product and Business organizations to understand the product goals and vision and align the engineering organization to achieve set business goals.
The role encompasses three dimensions:
- Culture – Instill and build the culture of high-performing teams practicing modern engineering practices such as DevOps and SRE.
- Development – Continuously educating and uplifting your teams by bringing in best practices, processes, talent, and learnings. Establish a mindset of continuous coaching, collaboration, ownership and accountability.
- Speed and Quality – You should not hesitate to continuously assess the delivery mechanisms, introduce development methodologies, processes and drive productivity without sacrificing quality.
This will be a global role with teams across different geographies and will be responsible for building and operating mission-critical business functions. This role will partner with Infrastructure, Operations and Centres Of Excellence (COE) – Architecture, Client, Backend services, ProdOps, Cloud Platform and Tools – to identify and implement solutions that help our organization to make informed decisions through data.
Job Duties And Responsibilities
- Articulate a vision for establishing High Performing Data engineering teams and execute the vision by working closely with technology leadership across the enterprise.
- Drive the initiative to transform the existing teams in the Big Data domain to embrace modern software principles – TDD, ATTD, CICD, DevOps, SRE, Agile and pair-programming.
- Engage and expand cross-functional analytical teams via a community of practice (CoP) approach across different teams.
- Overall accountability for end-to-end Data Platform system reliability, scalability and performance across multiple applications.
- Work with broader technology, operational & business teams and continuously improve. Relentlessly focus and accelerate the data-driven decision-making process.
- Improve efficiency by driving repeatable processes, practices and automation.
- Champion data transformation to new ways of working and generating insights.
- Demonstrate a passion to learn and experiment with emerging technologies in the data science field, build new possibilities using ML/AI algorithms.
- Design and enhance the on-prem / or cloud-based data systems. Work with vendors, partners and other 3rd parties as necessary to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Handle cross-team performance issues from identification of the cause, determining the areas of improvement and driving those actions to closure.
- Provide thought leadership and establish the technical vision for the team to move to a hugely Data and Insight-driven successful OTT live streaming service.
- Hire, grow and lead a talented organization of highly skilled software professionals.
- Develop and manage the team budget.
- Mentor and grow existing superstar leaders to take on increasingly higher responsibilities.
- Work with leaders in the organization to continuously strengthen and evolve DISH’s CPAW culture.
- Guide, mentor and foster a strong collaborative working relationship within and between Dish’s globally dispersed development teams.
Skills, Experience And Requirements
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Computer Engineering or equivalent.
- 15+ years of software industry experience. Certification in AWS Certified Data Analytics Specialty or GCP Certified Professional Data Engineer is highly desirable.
- 10+ years of people management experience, leading technical professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically to develop processes, tools and frameworks that help ensure effectiveness across a variety of stakeholders.
- Experience working with Big Data technologies both on-prem based and cloud-based.
- Good knowledge of the OTT/PayTV domain.
- Hands-on Experience working with tech stacks and architecture related to Big Data including Kafka, Sparks, Elastic Search, Amazon Redshift, Real-Time data integration and data processing technologies, Advanced SQL, data science languages such as R and Python and AWS Sagemaker.
- Demonstrated experience with DevOps methodologies, automation, CI/CD and continuous measurement and improvement of engineering productivity metrics.
- Experienced in developing a long-term strategy for data platform development and translating that into an achievable roadmap.
- Excellent mentorship skills for highly skilled engineering leaders.
- Excellent communications skill.
- Experience working with globally dispersed organizations.
Salary RangeCompensation: $175,000.00/Year – $225,000.00/YearCompensation And BenefitsWe also offer versatile health perks, including flexible spending accounts, HSA, a 401(k) Plan with company match, ESPP, career opportunities, and a flexible time away plan; all benefits can be viewed here: DISH Benefits . The base pay range shown is a guideline. Individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, and competencies; compensation is based on the role’s location and is subject to change based on work location. Candidates need to successfully complete a pre-employment screen, which may include a drug test and DMV check.