About the job
Pivot Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce. We actively work to cultivate an inclusive culture that welcomes, empowers, and enables equitable career growth for employees regardless of background.
Pivot Energy is seeking a motivated self-starter to join our Community Solar Services group as Business Development Director. This full-time position will focus on expanding Pivot’s client base seeking community solar management services and software tools to scale across all active community solar markets.
Successful candidates will collaborate on go-to-market efforts with the VP, Product Management and Client Solutions team and take ownership of our community solar services market engagement and outreach, expanding Pivot’s reputation as a leader in the community solar sector. The Business Development Director will serve as the point of contact for new client relationships, scoping and preparing proposals, conducting outreach in collaboration with the Marketing team and the broader Business Development team. While direct outreach is a large portion of this role, the outreach techniques will vary and will require differing approaches to access key decision-makers across a variety of geographies and project structures. This role requires diligence, patience, and determination to close deals – community solar services are complex, and each client and portfolio is unique, so creativity, grit, and a positive attitude are essential.
- Utilizing industry news and other relevant outlets, identify key client targets within the community solar industry. Provide regular updates to internal teams on industry trends in the rapidly evolving community solar industry.
- Collect and analyze market data to develop relevant client value propositions and channels for reaching clients and partners
- Collaborate with the Marketing, Community Solar Operations, and Product teams to refine our service offering, the client value proposition, and market positioning and attend industry conferences, disseminating marketing collateral
- Evaluate and refine our pricing approach in the context of industry trends and competitive value
- Conduct preliminary assessments of prospects to validate and provide the appropriate scope of services in proposals
- Engage with client prospects and cultivate relationships while pitching Pivot Energy’s community solar products and services
- Continually look for new and unique ways to harvest opportunities in new regions, customers, and adjacent industries
- Forge new relationships with key decision-makers in the electric power sector, including utilities, ISOs, demand aggregation & response providers, and others to understand near and medium-term opportunities.
- Track product and service launches by potential partners or competitors; based on this intelligence, recommend improvements to SunCentral’s products or strategy
- Attend events and conferences with networking opportunities and identify industry and community groups; establish or build upon personal networks
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by investing in on-going learning and tracking industry trends closely
- Accurately record all contacts and sales activities in our CRM system
- 5 years of sales and/or business development experience, with at least 3 working with electric utilities
- Prior work experience in an energy-focused SaaS company
- Experience selling technology-enabled services or software-as-a-service (SaaS), preferably in an energy industry; willingness to roll-up your sleeves with our Product team to conduct software demonstrations
- Willingness to experiment with value propositions and business development tactics, supporting proposals with data
- Ability to manage multiple, and sometimes competing, priorities and client deliverables
- Demonstrated abilities conducting market and data research
- Proven success in building a network and pipeline of opportunities in solar, community solar, or other utility-integrating technologies
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with an aptitude for building trust and rapport with individuals and decision-makers
- High degree of proficiency with online search tools, Microsoft Office software suite, Salesforce, and a willingness to learn new tools
- Passion to learn new things
- Experience with community solar, and the unique complexities of the products, financing structures, and project development lifecycle
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The base salary range for this position is $90,000-$130,000 depending on relevant experience, along with eligibility for a commission plan and the company’s substantial bonus plan, with a target bonus of 50% of annual salary (prorated in first year based on start date). Total annual compensation potential, when including bonus, is $135,000-$235,000+
Pivot Energy is dedicated to providing a great work experience for all employees, placing an emphasis on company culture, and a focus on our people. To that end, Pivot offers an outstanding benefits package that includes:
- Excellent health/dental/vision insurance benefits with up to 100% of premiums covered by the company
- Four weeks of vacation plus employment milestone bonus vacations
- Company paid life insurance and short- & long-term disability coverage
- Generous parental leave
- 401(k) matching (after vesting period)
- Work from home stipend for new employees
- Public transit reimbursement
- PTO for volunteering in the community
- Charitable donation matching up to $500/year
- Professional development and educational reimbursements
A complete list of all the benefits Pivot offers may be provided upon request.
Pivot Energy is a national solar provider that develops, finances, builds, and manages solar energy and energy storage projects that help decarbonize our nation’s electricity, increase equitable access to clean energy for local communities, and provide real cost-savings to American businesses and
We are fiercely dedicated to accelerating the rapid transition taking place in the energy industry to a more decentralized and cleaner approach to power generation. We are committed to positively contributing to the local communities and people we serve with more than clean energy. We believe global warming poses an existential threat to our planet and that we have a responsibility to help mitigate the threat.
As a Certified B Corporation and one of Denver’s “Best Places to Work”, we believe the business community is uniquely positioned to make a profound impact on a variety of social and environmental challenges. We evaluate every internal decision on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors to determine if our actions will result in a net positive impact on the community, our employees, customers, shareholders, and the environment.
Pivot’s core values are:
- Impact – We hold ourselves accountable to having a measurable impact on our people, communities, and the planet
- Balance – Put family first; work hard/have fun
- Determination – Find ways to be successful no matter how difficult the challenge
- Professionalism – Impress everyone we touch, be a team player
- Honesty – Be truthful and transparent, externally and internally
- Kindness – Create an environment where kindness, empathy, and vulnerability are embraced